So often we lose our way in life and work. We get bogged down in the complexities and the busyness of life. It seems easy to lose track of ourselves. Are we in the right job or do we intuitively know that we are meant for another purpose?
We may feel unfulfilled, unmotivated and uninterested. People around us may be negative, crabby or gossipy. The environment may be de-energizing, chaotic, or emotionally unhealthy. Yet, we can not make that career change for whatever reason. Feeling lost in the universe? What do you do?
You can do one of the following:
1) Continue to think the way you are thinking or
2) Change your thoughts.
Sounds pretty simple doesn’t it? Actually, we have the power to make any change we chose.
I love the quote by Mahatma Gandhi, “We must become the change we want to see.” If we want to see change, we must become the change and therefore we demonstrate change.
To experience spirituality in the work environment and at home I must become it. To do this I must first create my own awareness. For instance, each time I view judgment or negativity I must look within. (Because it is truly about me, not anyone else.)
Try these universal steps to spiritual change in your work life.
1) Say Good Morning to everyone you greet on the way to work. Put on your biggest and most sincere smiling face. (No faking here!) Save the biggest smiles for those you have been avoiding. (Notice how you feel!)
2) Think ONLY positive thoughts of others.. Each time you think, “What a jerk!” Stop your thoughts and tell yourself, “OK, I’m judging and this drains my own energy. I will think only loving thoughts of this person.” Loving thoughts add positive energy.
3) When feeling overwhelmed with all that must be completed, know that is your EGO side wanting to keep you in the pits of self-judgment! When your thoughts sound like this, “I can’t do all this”, “I’ll never finish by then”, or how about “I might not do this right”? Be aware, these thoughts keep us in the famous victim role of “poor me”! It is very self-defeating and is an enormous energy drain. (We are much more capable that we give ourselves credit for.)
4) Compile a daily list of three to six important tasks and focus on their completion. You will feel accomplished staying focused instead of feeling scattered or overwhelmed trying to do everything at once.
5) Be aware that whatever job you are doing at the moment is the task that is meant for you in that particular moment. Look for the higher spiritual meaning in all that we do. Do each task gracefully even if it is sharpening your pencil! (This is practicing consciousness.)
6) Keep your life uncluttered and tidy! Organize your desk top, office, your purse or wallet, etc. Clean up those relationships that have unresolved clutter by being honest and loving.
7) Take a five minute break when necessary and refocus your thoughts through meditation and/or conscious breathing.
8) Create or find convenient short meaningful prayers or affirmations to read throughout each day to keep your thoughts centered to be positive and loving to yourself and others.
Marianne Williamson’s prayer book “Illuminata” is excellent for daily reflections. I particularly found this prayer quite powerful and comforting.
As I go to work today, may Your spirit go with me.
May my work in the world be a vehicle for your love.
Go with me, Lord.
Show me how to love and forgive each person, that I might carry Your light to all I meet.
This is a new day, may it not be darkened by yesterday’s unforgiveness.
Instead, dear Lord, may we begin anew with new strength, new creativity, new power, new love.
If I am the employer, make me kind and compassionate.
Show me the art of leadership.
If I am the employee, make me kind and compassionate.
Show me the art of service.
For we are all in Your service, Lord, and here to lead the earth out of darkness into light.
May our work do this, through Your power with us.
And so it is. Amen”
Any change we seek in our life starts with our own thoughts and our willingness to change them.
It is always our choice to change or not to change. Say yes to the heavens!